Saturday, August 25, 2007

Iguazú + BA


I really saw a toucan!!


The pool :-)


Hi all! This week has gone by very quickly, as I settled back into the "real world" after going to Iguazú.

Iguazú was really incredible. As a trip, it was the perfect balance between sightseeing, relaxing, and getting closer with my friends. It was also really great to get out of Buenos Aires and see another part of the country. Travelling in bus really gives you the opportunity to see what a country looks like and how it functions - I can now say that I have seen the "real"Argentina, outside of the cosmopolitan bubble that is Buenos Aires. The falls themselves were spectacular. I can basically break it up into three different parts:

(1) General Iguazú Park - we did a lot of walking/hiking, seeing the falls from several different view points, some close up, some far back, etc. We did one hike that was really spectacular - we took a short boat ride across the river (the falls are at the intersection of two major rivers) then climbed to the top of a small island, la Isla San Martín, where we were right next to the falls - so close that we actually got wet from the spray! It was incredible to see them so close up.

(2) La Gargantua del Diablo (the devil's throat). This is probably the most famous and spectacular view, where according to a guide book, you have a 320 degree panoramic view of the falls. Really incredible.

(3) Our other hike. The second day we did a long hike (pretty easy though) through the woods, where we ended up at a natural pool fed by a single waterfall. It was by far the least crowded (only 10 other people) and was almost entirely people our own age, which was a refreshing break - the park was SWARMED with tourists because it was a long weekend. Monday was Día de San Martín (I can't remember who he was but EVERYTHING is named after him).

After a relatively easy busride home, I had a busy week of class! The highlight was definitely Thursday night, where I went out for dinner and to the movies with a girl I met in one of my classes. We had a really fun time dancing and singing along (we saw Hairspray). However, I was definitely the only one in the theater who understood all the jokes, because sometimes I was laughing all alone!

Tonight I'm off to the World Tango Championships. I'M SO EXCITED!!! Tickets are free, but they are a pain to get, but one of my friends did it! I'll let you all know how it goes :-)

Besos,
Becca

3 comments:

Maddy said...

I love you! Hiking to waterfalls, tango competition, singing along to Hairspray in the theater! I think Brian and Dan Ross and I are going to try to see Hairspray together before Dan leaves for France on the 1st. Brian and I are moving in this weekend - yay!
Shavuah Tov, too.
Love,
Maddy

Jorge said...

San Martin liberated Argentina, Chile and Peru. He is more revered in Argentina and Peru than Washington is in the US.

Priya said...

Hey Becca!! I was just catching up on all the posts I missed. You finally saw Hairspray!! :) Did you like it? And how were the World Tango Championships? That's so exciting! The falls look gorgeous too! I would I could be there with you!