Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Grades?

I was told at the beginning of the semester to expect that grades here are very public. I actually saw final grades from last semester posted all over BY NAME. No ID numbers, no private conversations with the professor, no nothing. Today, I had my first experience with this.

Last week I had a take home parcial (midterm-type assignment) for my class on Peronism. Keep in mind this is a class taught at an Argentine University but in a special all foreigner section. We handed in our papers and weren't quite sure what to expect - the professor said to keep it short, but the questions were very broad. Did I do enough?

At the beginning of class today, our professor gave us a general overview of her opinion of our midterms. We understood the general themes, nobody has a good grasp on the Peronist economy, and our use of the different forms of the verb "to be" was pretty lousy. She then proceeded to go through each of our midterms individually, explaining to us what we did right and wrong. IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE CLASS! I was really happy I had spent time on mine and that I had given it to my academic tutor to read before I handed it in. Luckily, this wasn't an officially graded assignment, so she couldn't announce what grades each of us had received. I was pretty surprised by the whole thing.

At the end, I just wanted to laugh. It was reassuring to know that I wasn't the only student who mixed up masculine and feminine articles (el/la) and that nobody understood the economics. I do understand the merit of this system, but it felt very strange nonetheless...

No comments: