Monday, July 23, 2007

Más BA

Everything is still going really well, and I´m having a good time. It´s very overwhelming, I´ll admit - everything is new, and nothing is the same as it is at home. The food, the people, the language, the cultureñ they´re all different. But, I´m enjoying them all. In terms of Spanish (castellano, as they call it), my comprehension has increased infinitely. I´m able to figure out what poeple are saying, even if I´m not always quite sure I´ve got it 100% word for word. On the other hand, my speaking doesn´t feel like it´s increased as much, and I tend to get very frustrated by my own lack of capability. For example... in the COPA building, one of the toilets was running. I tried tot ell the lady that one of them was broken, but I couldn´t explain exactly the problem. It wasn´t a flood, it just needed to get fixed. Those sorts of things are frustrating.

This weekend was a lot of fun. Went to synagogue, and got to talk to people in Spanish! That was fun, because I usually only talk to people who are used to talking to Americans, and therefore talk slowly and speak clearly. A bit harder, but lots of fun. Friday night I went out to dinner iwth my friend Cara from Penn - it was great catching up with her, and hearing about her experience in BA so far (she´s not in my program). Satruday afternoon I went to the mall (Alto Palermo Shopping is it´s name!) and bought Harry Potter with a friend. Then we went to a cafe, ordered some coffee, and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying HP7. If you´ve read it, I want to hear what you think! I finished it Sunday night. I had plans to go to the Fair in San Telmo on Sunday (antique market with tango dancers in the street), but it was gross out. Instead, my friend and I met in another cafe, and then went to the MALBA, the Museum of Latin American Art. Really interesting, and really nice. We only did about 1/3 of it though - it´s free for students, and we´ll go back another week. Then I went back home - it was FREEZING outside, and I had no interest in leaving la casa. So, I hung around and enjoyed the warmth of our heat!

This week is more orientating, with the added fun of registration. I´m debating what kinds of classes I should take. Right off hte bat, there is a mandatory Spanish class that I need. Right now I´m pretty sure I´m goign to take a seminar (40ish people) at the University of Buenos Aires, and 2 classes at the Catholic University, ideally both classes in the same year, same major. That way I´ll get to know the kids in that carrera (the word for major). However, that plan is under some debate, because I´m also thinking about taking a lit class that the program runs instead. Oh, the craziness of registration. luckily, we have a long shopping period, during which we´re encouraged to take as many classes as we want.

Right now, I´m at a locutorio (phone&internet for a charge), because I´m waiting for my pcitures to be processed. I need to get two pictures of myself 4 cm by 4 cm to prove to the government that I´m not a criminal. How these two photos will help them I´m not sure, but it´s supposed to ensure that I won´t get deported (I´m kidding). But seriously, if I don´t take at least 12 credits, I can get deported! Craziness. We had the fun lecture about visas too. Luckily, the program directors go with us to get our visas - we break up into 4 groups, and get to spend a morning in a governemnt office waiting. Think DMV (for non-NJ people, that´s the Department of Motor Vechicles), except DMV gone crazy.

Okay, that´s all for now. And please leave me comments - it lets me know who´s reading :-)


PS. I finally found a place where I can buy pretzels, though I'm still on the lookout for Cheerios and skim milk!

8 comments:

Desh said...

I'm here. Nothing really to say yet...just loving your updates! Fascinating stuff for someone who doesn't leave the country much.

Mom said...

Love reading your updates and hearing about all your experiences. You need to work on your grammer (English not spanish))! Continue to enjoy. love you, mom

Joanna said...

I'm reading! Glad you're having a good time! You make me want to go abroad. :) Miss you.

Jorge said...

Fascinating reading. Fun to see what your first impressions are. I wonder what you will think when you reread them in 2 months.

Illegal immigration IS a serious problem in Argentina, that is why you have to go through all that apparent bureaucracy.

You should go to the Museo Historico Nacional in Parque Saavedra and to the Museo Fernandez Blanco near Plaza San Martin.

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading about your adventures. I'd send you milk and cheerios if I could!! What did we all do before the internet? (we got to go away and our parents didn't have a clue!!) Much love, LouAnne

Sandy said...

Your blogs sound interesting and I am glad that you are adjusting to a new enviroment. Reading your most recent bolg I want to know if the toilets are now fixed and you don't have to hold it in. Secondly, are the services the same as in the US, other then the language issues. Also, when you sing, is it in spanish (castellano) or in Hebrew? Lastly, and most importantly, if you should run into Angel Cabrera, the recent US Open champ, who is from Argentina, please invite him from me for a round of golf at Forsgate, LOL. Have fun, stay save, Uncle Sandy

Jake Bennett said...

We have DMVs in the midwest.
-Jake

nacho said...

Do you want to earn more money!? here you can: http://ganar-extra-dinero.blogspot.com/