Monday, July 30, 2007

Oedipus in BA

If you ever run into Oedipus (from the Oedipus Rex, or Oedipus Tyrannus, or Oedpius the King), advise him that he should NOT go to Buenos Aires. As those of you who took English at NBTHS will remember, Tiresias, the blind prophet told Oedipus not to go to a place where three roads meet. And they seem to be rampant in Buenos Aires! I am very happy I don't have to drive, because I would never figure out how to navigate them - besides the many traffic circles, frequently a crooked street will magically appear, and intersect the other streets in the most inconvenient way. This is further exacerbated by the horrific Argentine drivers, who make New Yorkers and New Jerseyans seem like the most orderly people! Lane lines are seen as mere suggestions, as are things such as stop signs (I've never actually seen anyone stop) and yellow lights. Furthermore, the lights turn yellow again BEFORE they turn green, and many motorcyclists take this as permission to speed through the intersection before anyone else. I have learned quickly to be VERY careful crossing the street, becuase I prefer to keep all of my bones and appendages in tact.

Besides traffic problems, Argentina continues to be wonderful. Thursday night I went to Hillel, because a friend of mine in the US knew someone there and put us in touch. She invited me to go with her and some firends to their club on Sunday. There is no equivalent of these clubs in the US (for those who understand Spanish, visit http://www.hacoaj.org.ar/) . It's some mix of a JCC, day camp, and country club, without the social overtones of any. Essentially, every Sunday people drive an hour out and spend the day at Hacoaj, where hte play tennis, football (soccer), hockey, and row. Besides this there are all sorts of fun social activities and restaurants at the club. It's very difficult to explain the social atmosphere, except that everyone seems to know everyone else. The girls I went with had met at Hacoaj when they were 3 years old (sound familiar?) and continue to be friends today. We had a fun day lounging around, playing a bit of volleyball, and going on a ride in a boat taxi, to another club site which is 10 minutes down the river. A lot of fun, and a great way to make new friends!

As many know, I also began classes today. Needless to say, this was not the highlight of the week! As I have said before, registration here is RIDICULOUS, but it seems to work - I did not like the class I had today, and I'm planning on dropping it tonight. In a class of 20 students, 10 were from the US, and several of the readings were in English. The class was also very boring, and on a topic I've already studied (Latin America during the colonial period). On the up side, I'm planning on taking tango classes (not for credit) with a few American friends! It should be a fun and easy way to get to know some more people, and learn how to dance. Hopefully talent and coordination aren't required...

That's all for today! Tomorrow I start my other class, which I hope will be better. Hasta luego.

Besos,
Becca

3 comments:

Maddy said...

Yes, I am reading your posts when I get a free minute, and let me say that I'm highly enjoying them. You seem to be having an awesome time learning your way around, and that's even before you've started classes. Good call on dropping the half American one, and good luck on Tango. I am learning the Samba here so that a friend and I can choreograph the Havana scene from Guys and Dolls for the counselor play. I hope that goes well for you --- you could end up meeting some hot Latino guys who know how to move their hips!
Stay warm and be well. I can't wait to read your next post.
Love ya!
Maddy

Mehreen Iqbal said...

Becca!!! I'm so glad that all is going well with you and that you're enjoying your experience!! I fell a little behind on your posts, but then I just caught up. Can I just say, that Mama Gerr's post about English is hilarious! Haha, I literally cracked up reading it!! The roads and drivers in Argentina sound a lot like the ones in Pakistan - yup, they truly put the worst of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans to shame!! The dance class sounds really great and good luck replacing the half American class!! I'm really glad you're updating all of us! Alright Beccster, I miss you a lot, and I hope you continue to love each and every minute of Argentina!! P.S., let me know your snail mail address. :)
Love,
Reenie

Andrea Bradshaw said...

i finally figured out gmail!
im going to be posting a lot while I'm "working". I just really wanted to point out that you remember a reading from freshmen year ... of HIGH SCHOOL. if that doesn't spell n-e-r-d I don't know what does. Here's to adventures ...