Thursday, July 19, 2007

Orientating...

The past few days have been dedicated to Orientation. Besides the normal academic craziness, we also had several issues on security, and my favorite session, dedicated solely to the ¨Guia T.¨ For those who don´t know, La Guía T is a BA tourist´s (or newcomer´s!) best friend! It´s vaguely a bus map, but a lot more than that. The beginning of the book is a list of streets in alphabetical order. You look up the street where you want to go, and then it gives you a map and a square (ie: 7, A3). Then you go to map 7, and somewhere in box A3 is your street. On the page next to that map, there is a list of all the buses (called ¨colectivos¨) that pass through that square. Basically, you compare the square where you are, to the one you want to go to. However... (1) You don´t actually know exactly where the bus stops in teh square. The back has a vague list of all the bus routes, but there are no maps that have the bus routes on them. (2) Because there are lots of 1 way streets, and they aren´t in a grid, just becuase you can take a bus in one direction, doesn´t always mean you can take it in the other. Basically, an adventure!

I have taken the colectivos, and have mastered getting from my apartment to our orientation site. Today I also took the subte (pronounced sube-tay, it´s the subway) for the first time. Taking that, during ¨las horas picas¨ (rush hour) is quite an adventure! All I can say is that the NY subways are not nearly this crowded at rush hour!! Plus, the peopel in next to me were making out the whole time! On a crowded subway! Ah!

We´ve done a bit of touring the past few days. Yesterday we went to see the ¨Paris of South America,¨ the early 1900s nuveau riche who wanted to show off. HUGE houses, in a very french style. Today we went to the Plaza de Mayo, the center of the government (think the balcony scene in Evita). And yes Mom, I bought you a postcard with a picture of it and the Casa Rosada (Pink House) on it! Now all I need to do is find stamps. We also went around San Telmo, the most touristy of all the ¨barrios¨ (neighborhoods). It´s the one where you are supposed to see people dancing the tango in the streets, but I think they all took the morning off. On Sundays they have a huge crafts and antique fair with all the touristy stuff, and I think I´m going to go one weekend! We also walked around the Calle Florida, the major shopping street. Way out of my league, but lots of fun to look at. I have never seen so much leather in my entire life :-) They also have a very big thing for Christian Dior here - we passed at least 6 of his stores.

I think I´m out of stories for today. Everything continues to be excellent, though I miss you all a lot.

Besos,
Rebeca (how it´s spelled here)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I look forward to your journal writings Rebeca! It all sounds like such an adventure, I want to be you. Be well and have fun.
Love and kisses
LouAnne

Vivian Hammer said...

Hi Rebecca-
I hope all is well- it certainly sounds like an exciting adventure. How did my cousin Deidre's contact work out? She's dying to know. Keep on reporting and send some pics.
Love,
Vivian